POTATO AND SHORT-RIB PAVÉ WITH CABERNET REDUCTION12/5/2020 4:36:29 AM
POTATO AND SHORT-RIB PAVÉ WITH CABERNET REDUCTION | RECIPE BY FLORENCIA PALMAZ FROM AT THE TABLE AND AROUND THE FIRE
PAIRING: PALMAZ CABERNET SAUVIGNON
This is a rich, spotlight-stealing dish worthy to grace any winter weekend dinner table—or lunch table! Served in smaller portions with a light side salad, it makes a wonderful midday meal. Keep some extra Cabernet Reduction on hand for any guest who wants to spoon more on top.
SERVES 8 TO 10
Extra-virgin olive oil, for the pot
4 pounds boneless short rib meat, trimmed into 2-inch cubes
2 teaspoons sea salt, plus more for seasoning the ribs
4 yellow onions, medium diced
8 carrots, peeled and medium diced
6 ribs celery, medium diced
10 cloves garlic, minced2 teaspoons thyme
3 cup red wine, divided
2 cup beef stock
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
4 cups crimini mushrooms, diced
6 shallots, diced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 tablespoons minced parsley
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
6 cups heavy cream 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
16 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
2 cups Cabernet Reduction (page 237), for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F. Heat the olive oil in an oven-safe pot on the stove over high heat. Pat dry the short ribs with a paper towel and season with salt. Sear the meat on all sides and set aside on a platter. Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and thyme; sauté until tender but not browned. Add 1/2 cup red wine and reduce by 1/2. Return the beef to the pot and add the stock. Cover and place in the oven for 1 hour, or until the meat is fork-tender. Remove from the oven and let cool.
2. Remove the meat from the mixture. Shred it finely and set aside in a bowl.
3. In a sauté pan, melt the butter and sauté the shallots and mushrooms until tender. Add the tomato paste and fry for 2 minutes. Add the remaining 1/2 cup red wine and reduce by 2/3 until a smooth paste. Add the shredded meat. Remove from heat. Add the parsley and salt and pepper, to taste. Reserve the mixture until ready to assemble the pavés.
4. In a large mixing bowl, stir the cream, 2 teaspoons salt and white pepper. Place the potato slices immediately into the cream mixture.
5. Line a 9-by-13-inch casserole with aluminum foil. Layer the cream-soaked potatoes about 1-inch thick, then spoon a 1/2-inch of short-rib mixture. Continue alternating layers, finishing with a layer of potato, until the pan is filled.
6. Cover with foil and weigh down with foil-lined bricks to compress. Place in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until fork-tender. Remove from the oven and leave the weights on for at least 30 minutes as the dish cools. Once cool enough to handle, slice into cubes and serve with the Cabernet Reduction and a side salad.
MAKES ABOUT 4 CUPS
2 small onions, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 apples, cored and chopped
4 garlic cloves
Extra-virgin olive oil
4 bottles (3 liters) Cabernet Sauvignon
2 bottles (1.5 liters) Port wine
2 cups chicken stock
In a large stock pot, sauté the onion, carrot, apple and garlic in olive oil, until translucent but not browned. Add the wine and stock. Simmer for about 1 hour, frequently skimming, until reduced to about 1 cup. Strain and reserve. This can be stored in the freezer for up to 1 month.